There's nothing like a warm, creamy latte on a chilly day. However, most specialty coffees are laden with high fructose corn syrups, which can quickly raise blood sugar levels, stimulating the release of certain hormones. Caffeine also releases the "stress" hormone cortisol, which releases glucose into the bloodstream in order to increase energy levels. So, between the high amounts of simple sugars and the caffeine, overindulging in these types of specialty drinks can be a recipe for imbalanced hormones and hypoglycemia.
Thankfully, Dandy Blend is a delicious coffee substitute that is made from, of course, dandelion root (along with sugar beets, chicory and barely extracts). However, dandelion is the MVP in this game. Rather than increasing the release of hormones like coffee, dandelion stimulates the liver, improving its ability to detoxify and eliminate excess hormones from the body. Dandelion is also high in inulin, an indigestible carbohydrate that is known to improve blood sugar control and promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut. Dandelion root is also remarkably nutrient-dense, touting as an excellent source of vitamin C, riboflavin, vitamin B6, choline, vitamin A, calcium, copper, manganese and iron. Need I say More?
THIS RECIPE IS...
So, in honour of #nationalcoffee day, I present you with this delicious and nutritious recipe to satisfy your Cinnamon Dolce Latte craving!
P.S. This one is worth savouring, enjoy!
Dandy Cinnamon Dolce Latte
- 1/4 cup Filtered / Spring Water
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp Dandy Blend (or other coffee alternative)
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- Add the water, cinnamon and coconut sugar into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to low, stirring often.
- Continue so simmer over low heat for about two minutes or until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour in this coconut milk and then stir in Dandy Blend.
- Continue to heat for another minute or two, stirring often.
- Once warmed to your desired temperature, you can zip it in a blender for about 30 seconds to make it nice and frothy!
- Pour in your favourite mug and enjoy!